The theatre rises in the centre of Casalecchio di Reno and was originally named after Alfredo Testoni (1856-1931), a Bolognese notable playwright. After being called "Il pubblico", since July 2015 the theatre has been dedicated to Laura Betti, actress and singer born in Casalecchio di Reno in 1927.
Built according to a plan by Engineer Carlo Tornelli in 1928, the theatre has kept its original look only outwardly. The building is composed of a central body as well as two lower side ones dominated by a wide terrace. A loggia on the flat roof of the theatre, where physical, fencing exercises were once carried out, makes the building more refined.
Conceived as “Casa del Fascio”, a seat of the Fascist Party, the theatre hosted meetings, conferences and shows at first; but people's complaints drove the Promoting Committee to start early extension. Restoration works started in 1927.
So, there was room for a wide stage, an orchestra pit and stalls on the ground floor, while a central amphitheatre gallery and two side balconies were located on the upper floor. Dressing rooms as well as administration were placed on the back side of the building. A day hotel, a library and a buffet should have taken up the rest of the building.
The theatre opened in 1930, then it functioned as a privately run cinema four times a week till 1967, when unpostponable modernization work ordered the closure of the theatre. After the last repairs carried out between 1987 and 1988, the theatre finally looked modern.
The theatre programme includes theatre, dialect seasons, children's plays, didactic laboratories and other cultural, musical initiatives by the Comune di Casalecchio di Reno as well as local Associations.
Telephone: 0039 051 573040
- Music & Exhibition